This Kansas School Finance class is designed to introduce school leaders to the concepts of budgeting and financial planning for K-12 schools in Kansas. Various topics will be introduced such as; The History of the Kansas School Finance Formula, a study of the different funding components contained within the formula, differing approaches to building a budget, responsibilities of the budget, budget winners and losers, forecasting and fiscal year-end and what you need to know when talking with patrons and elected officials.
1. Understand Kansas School Finance and the requirements of budgeting for school districts.
2. Understand the School Finance Formula and how the formula components work together.
3. Understand the approach to budgeting (who does what, when & why?)
4. Understand the information required to construct a budget and how that information is used.
5. Understand the concepts of developing a budget and what values should be considered.
6. Understand the importance of being able to converse with stakeholders about school finance.
1420 SW Arrowhead Rd., Suite 100, Topeka, KS 66604